Monday, August 13, 2007

Tour de Jeju










Matt and I spent our second day on the island cruisin’ the streets on ultra high tech mountain bikes (chazif) and our new super high tech camera (as in disposable camera). We also found some sunscreen that wasn’t made in Korea, and off we went. We spent most of the morning checking out some gorgeous waterfalls near our hostel, and a historical-folklore museum that had a few translated descriptions but we got the main folklore story translated in a cartoon they played on a big screen. Ancient Chinese travellers searched this island for the herb of eternal life.
The waterfalls were absolutely refreshing since the weather was SO humid, and we felt more like slugs than actual people on our bikes. Matt in particular was suffering from the heat. I think he might have been mistaken for a waterfall himself a few times as beads of sweat poured down his face, arms, legs, etc. at ALL TIMES! Poor guy, I should have gotten a Gatorade I.V. for him.

An interesting side note about the waterfalls (and Korea in general) is that the women hear are like mountain goats! You watch a mountain goat scramble over rocks and think, how can they do that on those little hooves? I sat at one waterfall in particular and marveled at the finesse and balance of the throngs of women hopping precariously from high heel to high heel on these slippery rocks. Their boyfriends/husbands were not far behind snapping picture upon picture of their perilous beauties (narcissists are more than welcome in Korea). I’m not talking about some little wedge heel here. These were bonified spikes! I peered down at my own feet, which were cradled in chacos sandals (specifically designed for hiking), and they seemed so happy and safe. I don’t know if it was the heat, but I swear in that moment I heard my feet whisper ‘thank you’. :)

In the afternoon the heat was over taking us, and we needed to go for a swim. Matt and I thought we would try to bike towards Jungmun Beach, the beach we had visited the day before. We pushed off and instantly enjoyed the breeze in our face. I peddled away with all my might, realizing that we were almost constantly traveling downhill! How great! We took a detour on the beachside road…more downhill! I felt like a kid on my bike, loving the moment and all the sensations of the wind, the speed, and the scenery. I started yelling back to Matt, “Isn’t this great? Wahhhooo!”

No answer from Matt.

I slowed and peered behind me, I could see that Matt was trying to penetrate my skull with dagger glares. You all know how infrequently Matt throws a glare, so I wondered what was wrong. He informed of something I already knew, “Holly, all this downhill isn’t going to be ‘wahoo’ on the way home”.

Interesting point Matt, but the kid in me only egged him on as I flapped my wings, wiggled my bumb and did the best impression of a chicken I could muster with only one hand.

So we proceeded with me in the front, still feeling the heat of Matt’s petulant glare on the back of my head. We could see from the landmarks that we were nearly at the beach. Maybe only ten more minutes on the bike. All of a sudden, this huge sandcastle-looking structure (literally) appeared in our view. As we approached we saw a sign which described the building as the Museum of African Art. WHAT? In Korea? The Hermit Kingdom? I don’t mean to sound negative, but Korea is totally a monoculture society. They eat, live, and breathe Korean culture. But nestled in this sandcastle was a museum of African Art? We had to check it out.

It was amazing! The first floor was a photography exhibit of wildlife and people of African. All the photos were beautiful, so clear and vivid. The second floor had sculptures, traditional jewelry and clothing. The third floor had hand carved wood pieces of benches, tables, statues, and a gift shop. Finally the basement had a live drumming show with three men and one woman. The men drummed many songs as the women (who was so incredibly beautiful), sang and danced. She moved like a wild animal, so fast and crazy. It floored both Matt and I…we loved it. Matt forgot about the impending bike ride home after the drumming show! The only thing that was too bad about the museum is that our disposable camera ran out of film! Hmph.

We made it to the beach and relished in the cool waters and setting sun. After lamenting over the ominous ride home we decided to give it our best shot. It was a slow start back to the main road (not the detoured way we came) which was a long, gradual uphill. After only twenty minutes of steady uphill things started going downhill…again! Somehow, the ride was mostly long and downhill, so we bombed it with pure relief. I don’t know if our guardian angels tilted the island for us, but we managed to go mostly downhill both ways! It was such an awesome day!

1 comment:

amanda said...

great pictures you guys! I bet it was hard coming home after being there for a vacation...